We just started Meatless Mondays in our house. Meatless Mondays were started as a health and cost savings measure for us. My husband is the ultimate meat and potatoes man, so when we go vegan, it HAS to be tasty. These burgers do not disappoint. The original recipe is from The Tolerant Vegan. As per usual, I made a bunch of changes because I am incapable of following a recipe verbatim.
Vegan Eggplant Burgers – my version
- Olive Oil, for sauteing and for brushing on eggplant
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 1.5c field peas, you could substitute one can of beans (cannelini, garbanzo, pinto etc)
- 1 small to medium eggplant
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- garlic. (I’m not putting a measurement because it depends on how much you like garlic and how garlicky your hummus is)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup hummus (I use roasted red pepper hummus, so much flavor!)
- 1-2 cup panko breadcrumbs. (Start with one cup and add more as needed)
Let’s Get Cooking!
Preheat oven to 450 and cover a baking sheet with foil
Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices
Place eggplant slices on baking sheet, liberally coating each side of the slice with olive oil
Roast in oven for 10 minutes, flip, and roast five more minutes.
While the eggplant is cooking, saute the onion and field peas in olive oil
When your onions are nice and soft and the eggplant is done, take the eggplant out and turn the oven down to 400.
In a large bowl, add the eggplant, hummus, onions, beans, sunflower seeds, garlic, cumin, salt, and parsley
Give it a stir and then place the mixture into your food processor (I use a “Magic Bullet blender) for 15 seconds or so until combined.
Put the mixture back into the bowl and add breadcrumbs until you can form patties.
Form patties (my mix made five) and place patties on an oiled foil covered baking sheet
Bake at 400 for about 45 minutes, flip after about 20 minutes.
Get ready to nom!
I topped mine with hummus, lettuce and tomato. My son had his with tomato and hummus and my husband used a little ranch.