If you are anything like me, I always keep a stash of quick food in my freezer. Things like chicken nuggets, I would buy a Costco size bag and always have a quick protein source ready. While most of the “better” brands don’t have too many creepy additives, I like to know that I’m getting local happy chicken. These things are awesome! I make several pounds at a time, and then I always have a meal that takes 15 minutres.
These are relatively simple to prepare, but a little time consuming. For the time reason, I do several pounds at a time. Time well spent if I can make a ton of meals at once!
First things first, in order to make breaded items, you need to know about “Wet hand, dry hand.” Breading with this method is exactly what it sounds like. One hand will be in the dry ingredients, and one will be in the wet. This prevents the dreaded “glove hand” of layers of breading and goo. Here are the steps:
- With your left hand; select a piece of chicken, and coat with the flour mixture. Leave chicken in flour.
- With right hand, pick up chicken from the flour and dunk into the egg mixture. Still using right hand, remove chicken and place into the breadcrumb mix without touching crumbs with your hand.
- With left hand, liberally coat chicken with breadcrumb mixture
Ok, now that we know how to bread, on to the recipe!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I usually do 2-3lbs at a time)
- 1 1/2 c Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4c milk
- 1c bread crumbs (I get some from a local bakery for super cheap!)
- 1c Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- salt and pepper to taste
Set up your station:
I have the best results with two bowls and a deep plate (similar to a pie plate)
Bowl #1: flour and salt & pepper
Bowl #2: eggs, beaten and milk
Dish #3: both types of bread crumbs and seasoned salt
- Cut the chicken into desired size and shape.
- Follow “Wet hand, dry hand” breading instructions
- Place breaded chicken strips on a foil covered and greased baking sheet
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, turn halfway through baking
To make freezer nuggets:
- Follow all directions above and then let chicken cool completely after baking.
- Freeze and place strips into a zip top bag.
- To bake from frozen (don’t thaw) just place on greased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.