When I was pregnant I always assumed that I would just feed my son exactly what we had for meals. I consider this about 70% true, but what about the other 30%? The days we eat steak, or a big … Continue reading
Do we need to discuss that it is December already?! Time is just flying by! Thanksgiving was great, I ate ridiculous amounts of food and spent some quality time with my family. How was yours?
Today I am bringing you another episode of “what the hubby eats” with a few meals from local toddler and myself thrown in. In a perfect world, we would all be eating the same thing and I wouldn’t feel like I am constantly making food. Right now it just isn’t feasible. My husband is working borderline ridiculous shifts at work, I’m eating lower carb and local toddler is just eating…everything under the sun. Our meals are usually similar but one of these days all of our paths will merge!
Anywho, let’s get down to the food!
Grilled turkey and cheese sandwich, some (still somewhat frozen) lentil soup, and a spinach salad with walnuts, dried cherries and pepitas.
Believe it or not, there is chili under that brown rice! I made a giant crockpot of chili and we ate this several times and stashed some in the freezer. I also threw in some organic tortilla chips (Costco) and a few corn muffins (just Jiffy mix, but I’m working on making my own!) Rounded out the meal with some roasted broccoli!
Sometimes we actually dine out! We went out for Chinese food and ended up with a ton of leftovers. Packed him leftover sesame chicken, fried rice and more of that yummy roasted broccoli so we could pretend it was a healthy meal!
Local toddler is a little obsessed with dipping things so I have two pictures from a “dip dip” lunch I made him. This was cut up bell peppers and carrots with some leftover marinara sauce and red pepper hummus.
Not this exact meal, but a good idea of how I typically eat. A large spinach salad with some chicken mixed with a little safflower mayo on top and a hunk of a sweet potato. Not super exciting but tasty nonetheless.
Local toddler and I very occasionally eat out for lunch and I do eat carbs some days without guilt. We split a bacon, egg and red pepper sauce ciabatta one day. This was “brunch” time so I added in a coffee for me and in the background are his milk box, a fruit/veggie pouch, pretzels and some Annie bunny cookies.
What has been in your lunchbox lately?
Welcome to my Real Food to Go series! Here I chronicle what I pack for my husband for his lunches. It will also give you a good overview of what we make in an average week for our meals.
We have been trying to increase our salmon intake and these wild salmon burgers from Costco are delicious. I also packed some Alexia sweet potato fries and a baby spinach salad.
Speaking of salmon, here was another salmon day! some wild smoked salmon along with a bagel and cream cheese. I think these bagels were from our trip to the Whole Foods in Detroit, and the cream cheese is the 365 house brand. Also packed an apple, some smoked hunters sausage and a Chobani yogurt.
This meal got sent a few times and never photographed! I made a crock pot roast (hunk of grass fed beef, carrots, potatoes, garlic, onion and Celtic sea salt) that fed us for a few days!
What are you packing this week for lunch? What are some of your favorites?
What is new in your world? I got this fancy new phone that I’m learning how to use (Samsung Galaxy). It takes amazing photos but I have to relearn editing and blogging. I do 90% of my blog from my phone because I am always on the go with my kiddo. I *think* I have learned enough to get me back to blogging! Today is some more lunches!
Leftover cold pizza is one of my favorite food groups. This was a simple pizza I threw together one night when I realized we had nothing planned for dinner. It was Trader Joes dough from my freezer, Target organic spaghetti sauce used for the sauce, some cheese from Whole Foods and Organic Prairie uncured pepperoni from the freezer. We are indifferent about the Trader Joes dough, I need to get around to making some homemade dough and stash in the freezer. I also threw in a PB & J sandwich, an apple and a spinach salad with some pepitas and dried cherries.
Spaghetti nights are a toddler favorite. Some Field Day pasta from Door to Door Organics, jarred organic sauce from Target, breaded chicken, and a spinach salad with some trail mix and pepitas and dried cherries.
This lunch was repeated a few times! When I make stir fry, I always make enough for like 10 people. This was a simple stir fry made with Applegate organic hot dogs, every veggie in the house and some Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce. Botan sticky rice keeps the hubby happy. He said the protein shake was terrible, but I am guessing it may have been because it was vanilla and boring plain.